[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Using a USB Stick
 Date:  Wed, 06 Dec 2006 19:24:34 -0600
On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 16:49 -0600, Ryan Rodrigue wrote:
> Hey.  I was only giving my personal experience.  I had 2 different Kingston
> "jump drives"  there websites list them as a 1,000,000 Hours MTBF, but I
> couldn't get over a month(720 hours) without failure.  If you wanna use
> them, great.  I wont.  I switched to the slightly more expensive Transcend
> IDE flash modules and they haven't let me down yet.  If you have used them
> and find they work, share that information.  All I did was share my personal
> experience in hopes it would help someone else out there.  That's what I
> think this list is for, not to badger those who have a different view point
> then you.

Can I take the middle of the road and agree with both of you?  The
warning was unfairly inclusive, and the response was unfairly brusque.
That said, the information in both was correct.  USB flash drives can
last a long time powered up.  Kingston products have let many people
down.  Transcend products are top shelf.

			Lee