[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Austin Montford" <AMontfor at gwm dot sc dot edu>
 To:  "Michael" <zlinda1002 at cox dot net>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: Erratic download traffic graph report
 Date:  Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:35:52 -0500
On the traffic graph it also depends if there is only one user or
multiple users and what application someone uses.  Like for instance if
someone goes to a website like espn there is a spike for a half second
while the pictures on the page are downloaded to the user's web browser.
 Then the traffic graph levels off as the user stops to actually read
the page.  When the user clicks another link there is another spike as
the new page loads.  An application like a p2p or ftp will be more
steady on the traffic graph (like your upload stuck at around 1.23mb).
If one of those type applications have download/upload speeds looking
sporadic you may have an issue, but otherwise it's normal.

Just an idea I thought I'd throw out there.

Austin

>>> "Michael" <zlinda1002 at cox dot net> 12/12/2006 11:04 PM >>>
What would cause my download in 120 seconds to go from 227KB/s to
865KB/s
then back down? The graph in m0n0wall has 20 of those peaks in a 120
second
frame. This happens with traffic shaper on or off. I have a cox.net
12mb/1mb
connection. My upload rate is 1.23Mbps, but the download is more jagged
than
the mountains here in Arizona! Ack is prioritized in upload queue 3
with a
weight of 15, highest upload priority is 50. I never had this problem
with
DSL, but I never had a 4mb+ connection either, only 1.5mbps.

Mike