[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  OT: Load balancing across 2 WANs
 Date:  Fri, 15 Dec 2006 15:37:30 -0000
Greetings list,

Before anyone posts the obvious reply, yes, I *know* m0n0 doesn't support
load balancing across multiple WAN links, but there are folks on this list
who know more about network infrastructure than I'm likely to learn in a
lifetime, so I hope you'll forgive the slightly off-topic nature of the

Essentially, I need to accept incoming connections on 2 WAN IPs and forward
both to the same local machine running an ftp server. Since a machine can't
have two default gateways (or can it?), how does the local machine or router
determine which WAN the resulting ftp-data connections should originate from
and hence go out over? Any practical tips for setting this up would be most

I know pfsense supports load balancing of outbound connections, but I have
no idea whether it'll do what I'm aiming for here. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.