[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall dash announce at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Beta 1.3b1 released
 Date:  Sat, 16 Dec 2006 23:48:23 +0100
Hello everyone,

the long wait is over - the first FreeBSD 6.x-based version of
m0n0wall, 1.3b1, is ready! After the contest idea proved not to be
the right way to get m0n0wall updated, I decided to do it myself,
taking Dinesh Nair's initial efforts as a starting point - the focus
was clearly on making everything work and not on adding new features,
but still, we can already enjoy some of the improvements that 6.x
brings. Here's what's new:

- changed base system to FreeBSD 6.2-RC1 -> better support for new
hardware, Ethernet NICs, etc.

- Atheros wireless cards are finally supported -> wireless-related
webGUI pages have been improved

- generic-pc-cdrom: configuration may now also be stored on an USB
memory stick
(booting m0n0wall (generic-pc) from USB memory sticks should now also
work on most PCs)

I've put a lot of work into making sure that everything works and
behaves as in 1.22/1.23b1, and most features have already been
tested, but still - this is a beta version, and some things might not
yet work as intended. Back up your configuration file first, just to
be safe. It is possible to upgrade to 1.3b1 from 1.2 and up via the
webGUI. Downgrades from 1.3b1 to 1.2x should also work fine.

Detailed change log and downloads:

http://m0n0.ch/wall/beta.php

Work on the new concept for m0n0wall is also going well, and with any
luck, a proof-of-concept implementation will be available in February.

Have fun,

Manuel