[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Can Monowall be set to bridging?
 Date:  Sun, 17 Dec 2006 16:47:12 -0600
From: "Bob Young" <bob at lavamail dot net>

> I'm trying to figure how to assign static public IP addresses to several
> computers on my LAN, and then be able to access them remotely, through my
> Monowall.  Monowall is connected to my ISP's modem.

Can do two or three different ways.  Do the systems need easy access from
your LAN?

> Do I set Monowall to bridging, so that I can address computers (with
> static
> public IP addresses) on my LAN?  Can Monowall even do bridging?  I'm not
> so
> sure it can.

Yes it can, but only from WAN to OPTx interfaces. (3rd or higher interface)
That said, yes this will work

> If Monowall can't do bridging, then I assume I must have NAT turned on and
> therefore I must do "1 to 1 NATting" in order to address my computers
> (with
> static public IP addresses) on my LAN?   With 1 to 1 NATting, I would
> assume
> then that NAT is naturally turned on.

Server NAT works very well.  The servers can be an the LAN or a DMZ.  If on
a DMZ the external FQDN will not get to them from the LAN.  You will need
static addresses in DNS.  Also the servers will need to be static.  This can
be in the server config, or statically assigned DHCP.