[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  krt <kkrrtt at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Kevin R. Porter" <krp2 at bellsouth dot net>
 Cc:  "Manuel Kasper" <mk at neon1 dot net>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] upgrading NET4801 from 1.22 to 1.3b1 - ATA driver tries to use SANDISK 128MB CF card in DMA mode
 Date:  Mon, 18 Dec 2006 09:31:38 -0800
I've had to fix this issue with pfSense (which uses 6.x) in the past,
as my hardware setup (microdrive) doesn't support DMA modes either.
I've had to disable DMA on a cdrom channel just to install pfSense in
the past.

This is the section that I wrote for their Wiki:
http://wiki.pfsense.com/wikka.php?wakka=BootOptions

I hope this helps.

You might want to try editing the loader.conf file on the m0n0wall
image that you're using, before you try to boot it.

To disable DMA:

After powering on your system, You will see:
Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.

At this point hit any key and you should receive a prompt.

To disable DMA for hard drives and compact flash:

set hw.ata.ata_dma=0

To disable DMA for optical drives:

set hw.ata.atapi_dma=0

After the installation, add the following line to /boot/loader.conf:

If you have to disable DMA for your hard drive(s):

hw.ata.ata_dma=0

If you have to disable DMA for optical drives:

hw.ata.atapi_dma=0

It is possible that you will have to disable DMA for both your hard drive(s)
and optical drives.