[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] M0n0, VPN & VoIP
 Date:  Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:50:35 -0600
From: "Aaron" <lists at mycommunitynet dot net>

> I have used m0n0wall in basic setupsfor a few years. Currently I am
> trying to help a non-profit with their move into an office. VoIP is  an
> important thing. They will have static IP's at both locations and  my hope
> is that I can have an asterisk server at both locations and  send calls
> between the "offices".

> At their home office, I setup m0n0 and it's been working fine for a  year
> or two. I'd like to setup the same in their new office and have  an IPsec
> VPN between the 2 networks so that they could continue to  use network
> services at both locations - this includes VoIP. I'm not  sure how stable
> and how well this would work for this. I'd assume it  would work great,
> but real experiences would be appreciated. I've not  ever setup an ipsec
> vpn yet.

Two possible issues to be aware of.  IPSec needs at least one static IP
address.  If both are dynamic, it will not work.  Also, VoIP is some load,
and encryption on top is more.  You will need a substantial box at each end
to have decent throughput.  (and on the throughput note, home internet often
has poor upload speeds...)

                                Lee