[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Baity Fish" <holycarp00 at hotmail dot com>
 To:  cbuechler at gmail dot com
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Beta 1.3b1 Unusual Firewall Log Entries Since Upgrade
 Date:  Wed, 20 Dec 2006 13:15:47 -0800
>>I think I would report this to my ISP if I were you.
>
>Now I just have to figure out the best way to contact them.  Oh well, too
>late at the moment.

Well, I called Time Warner today and spoke with a tech.  He nslookup'ed one
of the 172.21.x.x addresses and said it was a name server from the Adelphia
side of things (Adelphia and some Comcast area were changed to Time Warner
recently).

He instructed me to do the same nslookup in cmd but I don't get the same
info as he did since I see nothing about Adelphia:

>nslookup 172.21.32.76
Server:  [172.21.32.76]
Address:  172.21.32.76

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to 172.21.32.76 timed-out

It's possible that he read Adelphia into "POS14-0.ORNGCA4-GSR1.socal.rr.com
[66.75.161.161]" (as seen in the tracert) since he did do a quick breakdown
of the naming schema which went right over my head.

He said that the 18000 & 19000 range ports are used to query the cable modem
for updating, checking if it's live, or something.  It doesn't quite make
sense to me, especially as these are passing through it to the m0nwall.  In
any case, I let them know and they don't seem to think much of it.  Maybe a
little more time for them to complete the system/s transition will iron it
out.

Once again, thanks for the help.