[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  "Willem van Dam" <willemv at setnorbyer dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Logon to windows domain over PPTP VPN?
 Date:  Thu, 21 Dec 2006 14:54:13 -0500
Hi list,

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I don't seem to be able to find
it in the archives. I do find a short discussion in 2004 but that doesn't
seen to solve my problem.

First is it possible to logon to a windows domain over a PPTP VPN (using
With this I mean that the user boots his/her laptop, hits CTRL-ALT-DEL and
types his/her password and puts a check mark at "Log on using dial-up

What am I doing wrong?
The VPN authentication seem to work but when the user tries to access
anything on the network he/she is asked for a username and password. When
the user types in his/her UN and PW the following message appears:
Logon unsuccessful:
The user name you typed is the same as the username you logged in with.
That user name has already been tried.
A domain controller cannot be found to verify that user name.

I have edited the lmhosts file but this doesn't seem to do the trick. The
system keeps asking for a UN/PW.

Lmhosts:	sbb00	#PRE	#DOM:SETNORBYER	"SETNORBYER     \0x1b"

Nbtstat -c shows:
Node IpAddress: [] Scope Ib: []
    NetBIOS Remote Cache Name Table

 Name           Type   Host Address  Life [sec]
SBB00      <03> UNIQUE -1
SBB00      <00> UNIQUE -1
SBB00      <20> UNIQUE -1

Any help is really appreciated,