[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Beta 1.3b1 released
 Date:  Sat, 23 Dec 2006 17:12:36 -0500
On 12/23/06, Dennis Karlsson <dennis at denniskarlsson dot com> wrote:
> Well I wrote 5-6MB/s (megabytes per second)

Oh!  Well, the big B vs. small b makes a huge difference.  :)  Sorry,
misread your message.

That's about 50 Mbps, which is about as much as I'd expect to get
through that spec of a box with BitTorrent.  That's probably roughly
10K pps.  I would expect with something that doesn't use so many
connections, like FTP or HTTP, that you could probably push more than
that through.  This seems normal to me.

> I have had no troubles before to push over 9 MB/s through this box. And
> with almost no indication on the CPU meter.

Did you have polling enabled previously?  If so, that causes
misleading CPU readings on previous versions (it'll show virtually
nothing even when the box is pegged).  If not, I'd be surprised if you
got 9 MB/s through a PIII box without causing significant CPU usage.
Going from 9 MB/s down to 6 MB/s is about what I'd expect from this
scenario.

> Strange thing is that nothing uses the CPU on top;

The top output on m0n0wall doesn't show interrupt time, which I'm sure
is what is taking it up at that kind of network throughput.  You can
enable polling on the Advanced page, and that might improve things a
bit.

-Chris