[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Using a WRAP as a Wi-Fi Internet router
 Date:  Sun, 24 Dec 2006 19:06:07 -0500
On 12/23/06, Pascal Filion <spambox at pacostudio dot com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if the WRAP platform, with it's AMD Geode
> SC1100, would be fast enough to be used as a full-fledged Wi-Fi
> Internet router ? Since it caps at around 16Mb/s, should I look for a
> dedicated access point instead of investing in the additional
> hardware (atheros miniPCI, cable, antenna, ...) ?

Should be able to get at least 20 Mbps through a WRAP even with the
slower 1.3 versions.

The real max throughput of 802.11g is ~25 Mb, so it really isn't going
to hold you back *that* much from the max of 802.11g.

Which makes sense depends on your specific situation.  Either should
work fine and performance shouldn't really be much different between
them, so it depends on what you prefer.

-Chris