[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Don Munyak" <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Fwd: [m0n0wall] dansguardian squid transparent proxy rdr
 Date:  Wed, 27 Dec 2006 13:09:28 -0500
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
Date: Dec 27, 2006 12:13 PM
To: m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch

From: "Don Munyak" <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>

> I have implemented a transparent proxy solution which is working
> flawlessly for http(80).
> I am hoping someone will help me or direct me to a solution for http(443).

My understanding is that the entire point of SSL is to prevent exactly what
you are trying to do.  It is secure communication between the ssl server and
the client.
                                Lee

Lee, I can't disagreed with your point. I am still pretty new to the
whole content filtering with squid thing.

Granted, SSL is typically used for ecommerce and for the endusers
protection. However, the scenario's I was addressing are for example:

-the employee trying to access their bank account during work hours.
-the employee trying to access a web based external email account via https.
the potential for an employee requesting a page via https, like ebay,
and which has the 'ebayobjects' bots for tracking useage.

Now I have no real issue with accessing a bank account. It was the
only example I could think of quickly. These are just thoughts in my
head..you know, the 'hmmm'  or what-if stuff. I suppose I could be
making a simple solution too complex.

Regards

~Don