[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Dennis Karlsson" <dennis at denniskarlsson dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Beta 1.3b1 released
 Date:  Sat, 23 Dec 2006 17:42:05 -0500
On 12/23/06, Dennis Karlsson <dennis at denniskarlsson dot com> wrote:

> If FreeBSD 6+ uses so much more of the CPU I guess it's better to use
> 1.22 if you have a fast Internet connection and a rather slow firewall box.

Yep.  Though I don't know how long that branch will be maintained,
FreeBSD 4.x is scheduled for end of support at the end of January 2007
(though it'll likely live on for a couple years or so, there are no
guarantees).  I don't know what Manuel's intentions are as far as
maintaining the 1.2x series going forward.

> If I replace the box with lets say a Pentium 4 3GHz. Would it be enough
> to handle the throughput of a 100Mbit connection?

I haven't done any testing with m0n0wall 1.3x on anything that fast
yet, but I know there are pfSense users with a 155 Mb Internet
connection that can fill their pipe with a box of that spec without
maxing it out, and the two seem to perform pretty much identically, so
I would say it's safe to assume that would be more than adequate.

-Chris