[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
 To:  MonoWall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Beta 1.3b2: "Keyboard: No" Error Causes Mono to not boot after upgrade
 Date:  Thu, 28 Dec 2006 17:04:28 +0000
Hi,

<levelezolistak at aim dot com> writes

>> From: "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
>>
>> > This may be way off base, but does the machine normally boot without the
>> > keyboard. Could the machine's bios be set to "halt on keyboard error"? I
>> > remember a series of Compaqs that would not boot at all without a
>> > keyboard.
>>
>> As he said these were upgrades, the probably worked before.  This is the
>> second time a keyboard detect problem has come up, and Manual has allready
>> said it is gone in the next release.  (Might end up a user selectable
>> switch)
>>
>> Also, on those old Compaqs, there is a program "no_f1.com" that will disable
>> the keyboard check. It can be found at
>
>If it is one of those old Compaq SFF machines, apply that no_f1 bios
>patch anyway, but it wouldn't solve your problem if the new version
>creates a bigger partition on the CF card, as it is doing AFAIK. This is
>because the bios detects it as a bigger HDD, so it is waiting to accept
>the new hardware. If it is the case, you have to plug in a keyboard and
>press F1 to accept it. Then the machine will reboot, and further you can
>use without a keyboard if no_f1 applied.
>Just an idea, sorry for being so long if it not that case.

Actually, without installing the no_f1 patch you can get those SFF
machines to POST without a keyboard connected.  Just set a power on
password (I think, don't think it was a setup password) and then in the
password options menu (that appears after the password is set) set it to
'Network Server Mode'.  They'll spot that there isn't a keyboard
connected and carry on regardless.  If you do decide to connect a
keyboard at a later date to use the console menu then simply type the
power on password followed by Enter and it's working.  That solves the
problem of an unauthorised user connecting a keyboard!

The POST won't be a problem upgrading to 1.3b2 - even though the
partition size has changed, the capacity of the physical device hasn't -
that's what the POST would complain about.

HTH,

                                Neil.