[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: Fwd: [m0n0wall] dansguardian squid transparent proxy rdr
 Date:  Thu, 28 Dec 2006 18:13:59 +0000
Hi,

In message <459403DC dot 8050105 at pdqlocks dot com>, C. Andrew Zook
<andrewzook at pdqlocks dot com> writes
>Paul,
>
>WPAD works two ways - either DHCP, or DNS.
>
>Simply add a DNS entry into m0n0 (wpad.yourdomain.com) for the web
>server with the configuration file wpad.dat stored in the root
>directory.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Proxy_Autodiscovery_Protocol
>Second paragraph under "Context".
>
>Andy
>
>Paul Taylor wrote:
>> Andy,
>>
>>      Your auto browser config - How do you currently handle it? (Is it
>> via Monowall with a hidden config command that I'm not aware of?)
>>
>> I'm currently using a separate DHCP server to hand that out (not the DHCP
>> server in Monowall), using these line in my dhcpd.conf like this:
>>
>> # Define WPAD option
>> option wpad-url code 252 = text;
>> option wpad-url "http://proxyserver:8080/array.dll?Get.Routing.Script\n";
>>
>> (The array.dll etc. in the URL is for Microsofts ISA server)
>>
>> It would be pretty easy to add this to the base Monowall package so you
>> could use the DHCP server in Monowall to hand out the URL to the proxy.pac
>> file.  Of course, this is probably only important in large networks that
>> probably wouldn't use Monowall anyhow...
>>
>> Paul

I too have about 3,500 clients (not behind a m0n0wall, unfortunately),
all using DNS to retrieve wpad.domain.tld and don't have any problems. I
prefer this way as I 'm not sure what browsers support DHCP.  IE (spit),
Firefox and Opera all support wpad.domain.tld, you just need to ensure
they're set to 'automatically detect' or whatever it's termed in that
browser.

HTH,

                                Neil.