[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Tim Nelson <tnelson at rockbochs dot com>
 To:  Mark Rupright <mark at fivepetals dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] LCD and Monowall?
 Date:  Sat, 30 Dec 2006 11:46:10 -0600
I've also wanted to do something like this with Mono. I've used LCDs
with Linux -MANY- times for multiple purposes... but not with BSD. The
most common LCD of the type you mention is the Hitachi 44780. They're
quite inexpensive and any software you'll find for controlling LCD's
under *NIX/BSD will no doubt have support for that chipset. Typically...
under Linux at least... after installing the proper kernel module, you
create a device node such as /dev/lcd or something more creative. As
long as your text is properly formatted (with control characters,
etc...) you can just pipe data to /dev/lcd. Under BSD, I'm not quite
sure... unfortunately I've little experience with LCDs under BSD. If
there is much interest in this, I'd be willing to pick up a couple
panels again and write up some docs. Anyone interested?

Tim Nelson
Technical Consultant
Rockbochs Inc.
http://www.rockbochs.com

Mark Rupright wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> New to the lists. I have searched the web looking for info on setting up a 20x2 or 20x4 LCD with
monowall...no luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction?