[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Mark Phillips <g7ltt at g7ltt dot com>
 To:  Tim Nelson <tnelson at rockbochs dot com>
 Cc:  Mark Rupright <mark at fivepetals dot net>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] LCD and Monowall?
 Date:  Sat, 30 Dec 2006 13:24:02 -0500
Hmmnnn,

Sounds like what we need is an LCDproc client. Due to the appliance
nature of m0n0wall if we used a printer port to drive the LCD in the
traditional LCDproc server mode we would exclude quite a few folks from
using it.

If the client would forward its data to a remote server somewhere then
one could display all sorts of system stat's.

I only wish I could write code :{

Mark

On Sat, 2006-12-30 at 11:46 -0600, Tim Nelson wrote:
> I've also wanted to do something like this with Mono. I've used LCDs
> with Linux -MANY- times for multiple purposes... but not with BSD. The
> most common LCD of the type you mention is the Hitachi 44780. They're
> quite inexpensive and any software you'll find for controlling LCD's
> under *NIX/BSD will no doubt have support for that chipset. Typically...
> under Linux at least... after installing the proper kernel module, you
> create a device node such as /dev/lcd or something more creative. As
> long as your text is properly formatted (with control characters,
> etc...) you can just pipe data to /dev/lcd. Under BSD, I'm not quite
> sure... unfortunately I've little experience with LCDs under BSD. If
> there is much interest in this, I'd be willing to pick up a couple
> panels again and write up some docs. Anyone interested?
>
> Tim Nelson
> Technical Consultant
> Rockbochs Inc.
> http://www.rockbochs.com
>

> Mark Rupright wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > New to the lists. I have searched the web looking for info on setting up a 20x2 or 20x4 LCD with
monowall...no luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction?