[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Ron Carter" <wcarterjr at earthlink dot net>
 To:  "Peter Allgeyer" <allgeyer at web dot de>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Beta 1.32b
 Date:  Sun, 31 Dec 2006 02:12:20 -0500
Well I am new to the world of Firewalls.  I have had a crash cousre of
learning by the seat of my pants.

Here is what I am doing with my VPN tunnels.  I was using a Symantec VPN
100.  The router was overloaded and kept crashing.  It could not handle the
load of three con-current tunnels.  I had been using a different firewall
solution and due to the need to reduce the electric bill I had to shut all
my other systems down.  I had to come up with a different solution.

A friend that supports a different firm recommended M0n0wall.  I have been
using it for 6 to 8 months now.  I converted from one firewall to another in
less that 1 hour.

I was using version 1.22.  It was working great.  I also noticed a huge drop
in VPN tunnel performance and increase in ping times by 30 to 50 Ms.
Tranfer rates dropped from 50 KBS to 30 KBS.  With 1.32B I am back at 50KBS
and it is working great.

So here is what is going on.  Customer 1.  Is using a Symantec VPN 320
router.  I set all the default setting took my setting from my other
firewall and put them in to M0n0wall..  The tunnel came up and has been
working with out issue.  I have the firewall rules allowing full access over
ther tunnel.

Customer 2 is using a Linksys BEF41 VPN router.  It is working great no
issues.  He is using RoadRunner so if his IP changes we have to reconfigure
the firewall to see the new IP addess.

Customer 3 is a VPN connection to my provider for virtural server and web
services.  That kinda of stuff.  I am connecting between 1.32b to 1.22.

Thaink god for my experiance with the other Firewall product.  So fas i have
had no major issue.  I did have some werid issues. with bridging the wirelss
card.  Thats for anothoer email.

RC