[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  mtnbkr <waa dash m0n0wall at revpol dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Problem with floppy image or device in m0n0wall 1.3b2 under VMWare Workstation-5.5
 Date:  Tue, 02 Jan 2007 09:45:35 -0500
I have several different m0n0wall virtual machine configurations for
testing networking configurations under VMWare.

To accomplish this using the least amount of space for VMWare images, I
point the virtual machine's CD device at the m0n0wall 1.22 CD-ROM ISO
file, and I point the floppy drive device to a VAT-formatted floppy disk
image file. This has been working fine with m0n0wall up to the 1.22 release.

Looking to keep up to date with m0n0wall and to try out the new 1.3b2
beta, I pointed the CD-ROM device to the 1.3b2 CD-ROM ISO, and m0n0wall
is no longer able to deal with my floppy image.

When it gets to the point in the boot process where it reads the
m0n0wall config from the floppy, the VMWare floppy access indicator
flashes ones every couple of seconds for about 2-3 minutes, then
m0n0wall complains that "No FAT formatted USB memory stick or Floppy
disk could be found", a few floppy read errors are displayed and the
console m0n0wall screen is displayed with default settings.

If I reboot the virtual machine and simply repoint the CD-ROM device
back to the 1.22 ISO everything is fine.

My guess is that the the new FreeBSD 6.x-based m0n0wall does not like
the floppy device presented to it by VMWare.

Any thoughts/comments?

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity