[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: Bridging OPT with WAN Problems
 Date:  Wed, 3 Jan 2007 16:29:45 -0500
On 1/3/07, Alex Herington <alex at sharespace dot co dot uk> wrote:
> Aaron with Morad <aaronc <at> morad.ab.ca> writes:
> > I set up my CV860 using the OPT (Realtek) just as a physical bridge to the
> > WAN (Realtek) and it works with no issues.  Only when I try to bridge a VLAN
> > to the WAN does the bridge not work.
>
> I'm having exactly the same problem! Using a Compaq DL320 server with 2 built-in
> Intel Pro 100 NIC's that use the fxp driver. WAN is connected to a DSL router
> and LAN is connected to a Netgear managed switch. I created 3 OPT VLAN
> interfaces. 2 are normal NAT'ed VLANs which work perfectly - I can connect a
> laptop to any of the VLAN ports and everything works as expected, but the 3rd
> VLAN (which is bridged to WAN) doesn't pass any traffic.

Which m0n0wall version is this again?  I glanced back through this
thread and didn't see any mention of version.

I believe in order for bridging to work, the interface has to be put
in promiscuous mode.  I'm not sure if this is the case with FreeBSD
4.x, but with 6.x there's a bug where putting a VLAN interface into
promiscuous mode will effectively break the interface - nothing gets
passed.  It's a known issue and I've seen at least some discussion of
the problem between FreeBSD developers.  Not sure if it's fixed in 6.2
or not.

-Chris