[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: Bridging OPT with WAN Problems
 Date:  Wed, 3 Jan 2007 23:29:27 +0000
In message
<d64aa1760701031329v7f88fd03gee1b3750ad1e5b94 at mail dot gmail dot com>, Chris
Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com> writes
>On 1/3/07, Alex Herington <alex at sharespace dot co dot uk> wrote:
>> Aaron with Morad <aaronc <at> morad.ab.ca> writes:
>> > I set up my CV860 using the OPT (Realtek) just as a physical bridge to the
>> > WAN (Realtek) and it works with no issues.  Only when I try to
>> >bridge a VLAN
>> > to the WAN does the bridge not work.
>>
>> I'm having exactly the same problem! Using a Compaq DL320 server with
>>2 built-in
>> Intel Pro 100 NIC's that use the fxp driver. WAN is connected to a DSL router
>> and LAN is connected to a Netgear managed switch. I created 3 OPT VLAN
>> interfaces. 2 are normal NAT'ed VLANs which work perfectly - I can connect a
>> laptop to any of the VLAN ports and everything works as expected, but the 3rd
>> VLAN (which is bridged to WAN) doesn't pass any traffic.
>>

>Which m0n0wall version is this again?  I glanced back through this
>thread and didn't see any mention of version.
>
>I believe in order for bridging to work, the interface has to be put
>in promiscuous mode.  I'm not sure if this is the case with FreeBSD
>4.x, but with 6.x there's a bug where putting a VLAN interface into
>promiscuous mode will effectively break the interface - nothing gets
>passed.  It's a known issue and I've seen at least some discussion of
>the problem between FreeBSD developers.  Not sure if it's fixed in 6.2
>or not.

It's broken in 4.x as well!  See my previous posts:

http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/showmsg.php?id=303/08
http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/showmsg.php?id=303/22

They relate to m0n0wall 1.22.  Fingers crossed it gets fixed in 6.x.

Regards,

                                Neil.