[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Ron Carter" <wcarterjr at earthlink dot net>
 To:  =?iso-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran_Samuelsson?= <goran at samuelsson dot pp dot se>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Problems w NIC in the 1.3b2 release
 Date:  Thu, 4 Jan 2007 00:37:10 -0500
I just looked at your picture on the web.

2 question:
1.  What bios release are you running on your workstation?
2.  do you have access to any other release of the 3c905 network adapter or
two different adapters

The reason I point to the bios is you may just be have a issue where the
bios is out of date and with the release of the new O/S it might not be
fully compatible.  I have been in this field since 1989 and have seen issue
where one release of a O/S works great and another fails to run on the same
type of PC.  We ended up flashing the bios to the matching level and it
worked fine.

I do agree with you that the driver might be a issue.  I would try flashing
the bios first.  Then I might test with a different adapter to see if that
resolves the issue.  I have also seen adapters start having alot of errors
when they are starting to fail.  It might just be one bad card propagating
issue on to the second.

One thing you could try based on your picture is to make the on-board
adapter the WAN interface and take the existing WAN interface and disable
it.  This is the first steps I would take to trouble shoot your issue.

This is just a stab in the dark with a couple thousand miles between.  Let
me know if this helps.  I still learning about firewalls myself.  Using
M0n0Wall is impowering my small consulting company to be able to compete and
provide more responsive serivces due to the VPN tunneling that I use.  When
completed I may have up to 10 VPN tunnels running so we can assist different
companies.  This produst give me quite a bit more freedom than some of the
other tools I have used.  I wish I was a programmer and could help with the
development.  That is not my strong point.

Best of Luck.  Please let me know if any of these suggestions help your
issue.
RC