[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Dennis_=D6stergren?=" <swedennis at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Using pptp client, default route over pptp interface on wan.
 Date:  Thu, 4 Jan 2007 16:21:53 +0100
Hello,

after having read section 16.16 of the FAQ, I'm asking for help, hoping not
to have to change my firewall solution.

I dearly need to be able to set up my firewall solution in such a way that
all traffic from the LAN is being routed over a pptp connection to a remote
pptp server, using the standard interface only as a means to receive the
initial ip information, to reach the pptp server, and dns information.

As stated in the FAQ, the intention of the m0n0wall pptp client is to allow
users to connect to an isp pptp server, in cases where such a connection is
required by the isp, and it's specifically said that it's not intended to
achieve exactly that which I'm trying to do.

I've searched the web and mailing list for m0n0wall hacks to do this, but I
have so far failed.
I'm certain that I can't be the only one with this need, one is never the
first with anything. :)

Any ideas on what to do?
I've become quite fond of my m0n0wall, and I don't fancy, for instance,
installing a full blown GNU/Linux distribution to do this myself. Not least
because I'm certain that the developers of a dedicated firewall solution
would do a much better job at implementing it, than would I, even though I
would probably get it to work, but the lurking suspicion that I had missed
something  would be strong.

I really really really like everything about m0n0wall, and would appreciate
any guidance on what could be done.
I'm not at all foreign to hacking the images, provided somebody guides me. I
don't know much about the *BSD family of OS'es however, so I'm in the dark
as to the configuration details.

Regards,
/Dennis