[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Klaus Stock" <ks at stock dash consulting dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Using pptp client, default route over pptp interface on wan.
 Date:  Thu, 04 Jan 2007 16:45:52 +0100
Hi Dennis,

> I dearly need to be able to set up my firewall solution in such a way that
> all traffic from the LAN is being routed over a pptp connection to a
remote
> pptp server, using the standard interface only as a means to receive the
> initial ip information, to reach the pptp server, and dns information.

you can do this simply with the WAN PPTP configuration - almost. You'll need
to refer to the remote server via it's IP address, since DNS won't be
available at this point, AFAIK.

> As stated in the FAQ, the intention of the m0n0wall pptp client is to
allow
> users to connect to an isp pptp server, in cases where such a connection
is
> required by the isp, and it's specifically said that it's not intended to
> achieve exactly that which I'm trying to do.

It's not totally clear to me what you want to do. You mention that the above
mentioned method is *not* what you need, yet I fail to see any problem,
except for the lack of DNS access.

Or do you need some "combined" connection method, like first connecting to
an ISP via, for example, PPPoE and then tunneling though this connection via
PPTP? In such a case, I guess the easiest way would be to cascade two
m0n0walls (the outer for the PPoE connection and the inner one for the PPTP
connection). The DNS issue will still persist, though.

Best rgeards, KLaus
This mail sent using V-webmail - http://www.v-webmail.orgg