[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Problems w NIC in the 1.3b2 release
 Date:  Thu, 4 Jan 2007 20:49:49 +0000
Hi,

In message <001201c72fc2$62053da0$950ea8c0@raptor>, Ron Carter
<wcarterjr at earthlink dot net> writes

>I just looked at your picture on the web.
>
>2 question:
>1.  What bios release are you running on your workstation?
>2.  do you have access to any other release of the 3c905 network
>adapter or two different adapters
>
>The reason I point to the bios is you may just be have a issue where
>the bios is out of date and with the release of the new O/S it might
>not be fully compatible.  I have been in this field since 1989 and have
>seen issue where one release of a O/S works great and another fails to
>run on the same type of PC.  We ended up flashing the bios to the
>matching level and it worked fine.
>
>I do agree with you that the driver might be a issue.  I would try
>flashing the bios first.  Then I might test with a different adapter to
>see if that resolves the issue.  I have also seen adapters start having
>alot of errors when they are starting to fail.  It might just be one
>bad card propagating issue on to the second.
>
>One thing you could try based on your picture is to make the on-board
>adapter the WAN interface and take the existing WAN interface and
>disable it.  This is the first steps I would take to trouble shoot your
>issue.
>
>This is just a stab in the dark with a couple thousand miles between.
>Let me know if this helps.  I still learning about firewalls myself.
>Using M0n0Wall is impowering my small consulting company to be able to
>compete and provide more responsive serivces due to the VPN tunneling
>that I use.  When completed I may have up to 10 VPN tunnels running so
>we can assist different companies.  This produst give me quite a bit
>more freedom than some of the other tools I have used.  I wish I was a
>programmer and could help with the development.  That is not my strong
>point.
>
>Best of Luck.  Please let me know if any of these suggestions help your
>issue.
>RC
>

><goran at samuelsson dot pp dot se>

I've got a 1.22 box with two xl devices (3c905B, I think) and don't have
a problem.  I haven't got around to trying 1.3b2 on it although I do
have another m0n0wall that I've just setup with 2 3c905Cs so I'll check
on that tomorrow.

I've done a quick Google and it looks like some problems are down to IRQ
sharing.  This may be different in 1.3 as there is support for USB flash
memory so presumably that would use up another IRQ.

If possible, disable as many integrated devices as possible and ensure
that PNP OS is disabled (can't remember if you can disable it on the EN
SFFs).

HTH,

                                Neil.