[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "DOYELLE Vincent" <V dot DOYELLE at esc dash chambery dot fr>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  CPU load and Captive portal
 Date:  Fri, 5 Jan 2007 18:29:20 +0100
Hi all

I've tried Pfsense as a captive portal in order to authenticate my wifi
users. About 400 users are able to access internet with wifi. I've seen
on captive portal about 180 users connected simultaneoulsy.
I've observed many problems concerning cpu load : cpu load was often at
70% to 100% with MANY PHP process running.
I've tried with 3 diffrent platforms :=20

1.	P4 1.8 Ghz, 512 Mo, 60 Go=20
2.	Athlon 64 2 Ghz, 512 Mo, 80 Go (HP DX 5150)=20
3.	P3 933 Mhz, 1 Go, 72 Go (HP Proliant ML 330)

On these 3 platforms, I've observed the cpu load problems mentionned
above. On platform 2, I've observed many crash due to swap full. Trird
to change memory stick but same thing. So I've concluded that Athlon 64
was supported very well.

But, my main problem remain the cpu load. VERY often per day, I'cve seen
cpu lopad around 80% to 100%.
On all three platforms, I've seen that CPU load is very often VERY high
(between 80% to 100%). When CPU is so high, with a top command, I've
seen that there were many PHP processes consumming the cpu load.
When It's 100%, users can not access the authentification page or it's
EXTREMELY SLOW.

I've already tried to ask for help on Pfsense forum but one the forums
administrator told me to ask questions here because captive portal was a
simple port of M0n0.

So, is there any other users who have encountered these problems ?
If so, what are your number of users (max and simultaneoulsy) ?
Can Captive portal authenticate more than one user at the same time ?
Do you think that this is my problem ?

Any way, thanks all for your great job.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards