[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Mark Ryan <markryan at cfl dot rr dot com>
 To:  Monowall Support List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  best version and future for WRAP
 Date:  Fri, 05 Jan 2007 23:10:17 -0500
Hi,
I have a WRAP (266mhz, 128mb) and I have been following the development
of both m0n0wall and pfsense.  It is obvious that pfsense has a much
different goal than m0n0wall and that it is mostly centered on features.

M0n0wall on the other hand is still (?) centered on supporting embedded
platforms.

My question is this.  Can we expect better performance in the future
from the 1.3 branch than the current beta 2 version?  I ask the question
because I have noticed a huge jump in cpu and ram usage from 1.22 to
1.3b2.  No w I know that this new version most probably fits the bill
for most home applications of a WRAP but my concern is the future.
Internet connections are getting faster everyday.

Should we expect better performance in the future builds or should the
WRAP and Soekris users stick with 1.22?  Also, should there be a split
development of m0n0wall...1 for embedded devices and the other for
feature rich pc's?

Mark Ryan