[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: why dont we have forum?
 Date:  Sat, 6 Jan 2007 15:08:08 -0500
On 1/5/07, David Kitchens <spider at webweaver dot com> wrote:
>  Yes, most forums do but that means all list users must go and signup on
> them and choose that option. With the division of people that like or
> dislike forums, that would not be too feasible to expect.

Manuel and I decided it isn't worth the effort to integrate the lists
and forum, and would be extremely difficult to do in a sensible
fashion.  The forum will have areas for individual topics, like
installation, NAT, firewalling, captive portal, etc. etc.  For an
example, see forum.pfsense.org as it'll essentially be almost a mirror
of how that's setup.  To be able to properly integrate the two, the
list messages would have to be categorized properly, amongst other
issues like flowing messages back and forth properly, etc.

Time has proven that while there may be some initial interest in
taking on something as daunting as this, that interest will wane
quickly and it'll never be properly completed.  It's a difficult
project, and not worth the time it would require even if someone was
willing to undertake it.  That time could be better spent improving
m0n0wall, not investing a significant amount of time putting glue
between support mechanisms.

The forum software we'll be using is SMF.  phpBB was not even remotely
considered because it's a security nightmare.

-Chris