[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Steve Thomas" <sthomas at consultant dot com>
 To:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>, "Donovan R. Palmer" <donovan at dmpnet dot org>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PPTP versus IPsec
 Date:  Sun, 07 Jan 2007 16:00:18 -0500
I agree on the PPTP vs. IPSEC debate.

The security of PPTP is plenty strong, there is no reason to get all CIA
about it.
There is a big difference between theoretical  weakness and real
weakness.
I believe most of the perceived weakness of PPTP assumes that a hacker is
directly sniffing the traffic. Not a very realistic threat in most cases.

I have setup both PPTP and IPSEC solutions for customers, by far the PPTP
configs are easier and more cost effective. Never had a known security
issue
with either type.