[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Sven Brill <madde at gmx dot net>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PPTP versus IPsec
 Date:  Sun, 07 Jan 2007 21:36:03 -0500
Chris Buechler wrote:
> On 1/7/07, Sven Brill <madde at gmx dot net> wrote:
>> Security could be strong enough with PPTP,
>> depends on your  own risk assessment.  For a fun read,  try this:
>>
>> http://www.schneier.com/paper-pptp.html
>>

> This is a bit of FUD, as it's based on issues that were fixed years
> ago and Schneier never updated that page.  But, PPTP still has its
> issues.
first hit on google, as I said, it might be enough, I just don't trust
it and have nothing to base this on right now, other than general
industry practices where security is a factor, e.g. banking.

> combination of IPsec and OpenVPN is ideal IMO.  Two for redundancy,
> and if one can't get through whatever firewall your client machine is
> behind, you have another to try.

I like that idea - don't limit yourself, you only have to configure your
m0n0wall once. Leave your options open, and set yourself a priority
list. Basically, the three VPNs mentioned use three different
approaches, and one of them is sure to get through whatever firewall the
client is behind.

Sven