[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Donovan R. Palmer" <donovan at dmpnet dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PPTP versus IPsec
 Date:  Mon, 8 Jan 2007 08:35:59 -0000
Very, very helpful.  I did a tonne of reading/learning yesterday and learned
a lot particularly about PPTP and IPsec.

> For ease of use, imho, openVPN beats an ipsec implementation, especially
> if you are just starting out. the Examples and HOWTOs on openvpn.org are
> extensive, and the community is quite active. ipsec is probably the better
> choice for point-to-point connections between two networks where you have
> control over both ISP connections.

I read this on m0n0wall changelog yesterday about v. 1.2

    "removed OpenVPN If you've been using OpenVPN in earlier 1.2b
    versions, make very sure after upgrading that all your rules still point
    to the right interfaces (the OpenVPN pseudo-interfaces will be
    removed). Better yet, restore the configuration backup you made
    before you enabled OpenVPN (as per the suggestion in the
    webGUI) prior to upgrading."

I get the impression that there were problems with OpenVPN, therefore it was
removed.  However, I have not found anything on the site or in the email
list archives as to why it was removed (yet).  Can anyone give me a brief
enlightenment?

I hadn't thought about the idea of deploying more than one VPN, in case I am
having trouble connecting from somewhere.  That's what I love about
OpenSource stuff, you have so many possibilites.

Cheers for the assistance.