[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Mark Ryan <markryan at cfl dot rr dot com>
 To:  James W Harrington <jamesh at thefifthrace dot com>, Monowall Support List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] New M0n0wall Hardware
 Date:  Mon, 08 Jan 2007 18:28:41 -0500
James W Harrington wrote:
> I currently have a m0n0wall running on an old Dell Dimension XPS (P3 1Ghz, 512MB RAM, 40GB Hard
Disk).  I knows it a bit overkill but it's all I had.    I am now looking at upgrading as the old
hardware is starting to become unreliable.  The problem is I need 6 network interfaces :

> 1.       Onboard used for WAN Connection
>
> 2.       PCI Slot One to Four using 3com NIC's
>
> 3.       PCI Slot Five has a 3com Wireless PCI Card
>

> Dell don't provided a PC with more than 2 PCI slots that I can see despite asking them.  Does

fit this requirement.  Failing that I would consider using VLANS but I have no idea how to set them
up.

> Thanks for any help
>

> James

Buy a Dimension from their Outlet store and add one of those slick 4
port cards to it along with a single port card.  It would be very
inexpensive.  The refurb and scratch and dent deals are outstanding
sometimes.

Mark