[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Sven Brill <madde at gmx dot net>
 To:  Max Cristin <max dot cristin at rogers dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.3b2 and 3Com 3c905 nics
 Date:  Mon, 08 Jan 2007 21:19:05 -0500
Max Cristin wrote:

> After many reboots, cables swaps, moving nics from pci slot to pci
> slot ad testing on other systems, it just stopped and everything has
> been working fine for 5 hours (knocking on wood).
>
> I read in a recent thread on the mailing list that other people
> suffered similar issues with 3c905 nics and all a sudden disappeared
> after the upgrading to the latest motherboard bios. I doubt that was
> what fixed it and I suspect there may be some compatibility or driver
> issues.
>
> Has anybody else experienced anything similar with 3com nics? Thanks.

This problem comes up occasionally on other BSD lists, and not only with
3com cards. It seems to not have been completely tracked down (but I
don't follow it too closely), but the four suggestions seem to always be:

1. drivers - solution: change nic
2. BIOS - solution: update the BIOS (helped someone on the m0n0wall
list, iirc)
3. bad nics - solution: change nics
4. IRQ conflicts - check the BIOS, turn off unused devices (USB ports,
etc) that use IRQs and hope that upon reboot, each nic gets its own IRQ
or manually assign them

since you said you changed the nics around in the PCI slots, #4 might
have well been your problem ind been resolved through this change.

Sven