[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Bit off topic need FreeBSD Help if possible
 Date:  Tue, 9 Jan 2007 11:49:02 -0500

> AFAIK FreeBSD does not enable ssh logging for root.
> Edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and set PermitRootLogin to yes
> Then restart sshd -> /etc/rc.d/sshd restart

That's correct.

Though it'd be a much, much better idea to leave sshd_config as is and
create a user account to use for SSH (make sure you add it to group
wheel so you can su to root).  Then I'd install and setup sudo and
never use the root account again unless you have to at the console for
some reason (recovery, generally).

-Chris