[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Donovan R. Palmer" <donovan at dmpnet dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  New to m0n0wall install question
 Date:  Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:22:56 -0000
I have been reading the administrator's manual, familiarising myself with
m0n0wall.  One question to insure that I understand correctly...

I have a /28 from my ISP.  My router uses one and my m0n0wall will use the
other.  I want to use the remaining public IPs in the DMZ and do NAT with
private IPs in the LAN.

After reading this in the documentation:
http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/faq-bridge.html , if I understand correctly, my
machines in the LAN will not be able to access my servers in the DMZ due to
a limitation in ipnat and bridging.

So, if I use NAT in the DMZ, but do 1 to 1 mapping (public IP to private
IP), will this get around this problem and allow my machines to access
servers in the DMZ?

Or is what I am trying to do not possible (mixing Nat and public ips)?  If
so, could I allocate half of the public ips to my LAN and the other half to
the DMZ to get around this?

Sorry if this is plainly obvious.  This is my first forray into a software
firewall and I want to be fully read up and understanding what I am doing
before I invest the time into setting up the hardware.

TIA for any help/advice!