[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Ted Bullock <tbullock at canada dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Router hardware and vge driver
 Date:  Fri, 12 Jan 2007 02:00:09 -0700
Hi there,

I am looking into setting up a router with m0n0wall and have been doing
a good bit of research into what hardware will fit best with my
requirements.

Specifically, I plan on setting up a gigabit network with 9k jumbo
(long) frames.  Already, I have updated the hardware on all the other
machines in the house to Intel gigabit adaptors in preparation for this
and in the next couple of days, I plan on purchasing a Dell PowerConnect
2724 switch which has native 9k long frame support.

This only leaves the router itself.  At this time I am planning on using
a VIA EPIA EN120000EG Fanless mini-itx machine.
(http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/cPath/78_93/products_id/544)

This board includes a VIA VT6122 Gb adaptor which VIA says supports VLAN
and jumbo frames up to 9k.  The vge(4) manpage
(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=vge&sektion=4) also confirms this.

Are there any foreseeable problems with this setup?

One thing I have noticed is that the hardware page
(http://m0n0.ch/wall/hardware.php) does not list the vge driver as
having long frame support.  This alone has got me worried enough to
enquire here on the mailing list.

Thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated.

-Ted Bullock