[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Hangs?
 Date:  Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:40:43 -0500
On 1/12/07, Max Cristin <max dot cristin at rogers dot com> wrote:

> I then switched for a while to pfSense using the same hardware, same VM
> and same configuration. That worked flawlessly from the first boot, so I
> can only conclude that 1.22 is not very VM friendly.

Actually m0n0 should work far better than pfsense, since the 1.2x
versions run on an OS actually supported by VMware (FreeBSD 4.x).  Any
newer FreeBSD versions aren't officially supported by VMware, though
they work on platforms that support IDE devices (don't work on ESX
Server).

What you may be running into is the issue that a very small portion of
the user base seems to have, and you'd have the same issue whether it
was VMware or physical hardware - there's some problem that causes
freeze ups for a very limited number of people (compared to the number
of installs out there).

If you run the latest 1.3 beta, does it work properly?

-Chris