[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lynn Grant <lgrant at adamscon dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Losing Window connectivity periodically...OT?
 Date:  Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:23:34 -0600
Greetings, all...

I'm having an odd problem...off-hand, it doesn't seem likely that
M0n0wall is causing it, but I'm not sure, so I thought I'd see if anyone
has run into it.

I am running M0n0wall 1.3b2, but I experienced the same problem with
1.22.  The WAN port of my M0n0wall connects to the Internet (via a cable
modem).  The LAN port connects to a switch.  Coming off the switch are a
Windows box and a hub.  Connected to the hub is a Linux box, plus a few
other Linux boxes that are usually turned off.

Periodically, Windows stops finding websites.  Web requests time out and
give me a "server not found message".  It doesn't matter if I am using
IE6, IE7, Firefox, or Opera.  I thought it might be a DNS problem, but
if I use NSLOOKUP on Windows, it seems to find anything I ask for just
fine.  I can ping the router, and I can access files on the Samba server
on the Linux box, so I have connectivity within the network.

Meanwhile, over on the Linux side, everything is working fine.

BTW...I'm using DNS forwarding.

I should also add that so far, the 1.3b2 version of M0n0wall seems to be
working flawlessly.

Thanks,

Lynn Grant
lgrant at adamscon dot com