[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Don Munyak" <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Tomas Roos" <par dot tomas dot roos at gmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Questions about performance and thruput.
 Date:  Sat, 13 Jan 2007 07:48:46 -0500
On 1/13/07, Tomas Roos <par dot tomas dot roos at gmail dot com> wrote:
> Hello, i was thinking of getting an pc as an router since i think that the
> modern routers have to little thruput.
>
> If i setup a system having theese specifikations:
>
> P4 2.6GHZ
> 512MB

As I understand it, unless your in a really demanding environment
(ie..ISP), a 2.6Ghz is overkill and wasted resources.

> 4 NICS 10/100/1000
> And 1 Wireless D-Link card with MIMO Technic.

Read the FreeBSD Hardware release notes before "assuming"
compatibility. Also, Look at a 'server' grade NIC versus
workstation...ie Intel pro, not netgear FX310T. The higher-end NIC's
do more processing on the NIC, instead of passing off to mainboard
cpu, which in turn makes throughput faster.

> Do you think that you can get thruput about 100 MBPS ? If not what's the
> thing thats stoping the performance ?
> I have alot of trafic, and because gameservers ect i often feel like its the
> router thats slowing down, since i have 200Mbps Internet here in Sweden.

While my explanation may not be technically accurate, the point being
your better off with:

P3-1Ghz with great NIC's ....versus P4-2.6Ghz with crappy NIC's

> One more thing does m0n0wall have trafic priority or do you recommend some
> other *nix service that is nice.

YES. Read online manual or search this forum for Traffic Shapping.
Also check out the wiki.

> Regards Tomas

~Don