[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Tomas Roos" <par dot tomas dot roos at gmail dot com>
 To:  don dot munyak at gmail dot com, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Questions about performance and thruput.
 Date:  Sat, 13 Jan 2007 14:01:24 +0100
2007/1/13, Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>:

> On 1/13/07, Tomas Roos <par dot tomas dot roos at gmail dot com> wrote:
> > Hello, i was thinking of getting an pc as an router since i think that
> the
> > modern routers have to little thruput.
> >
> > If i setup a system having theese specifikations:
> >
> > P4 2.6GHZ
> > 512MB
>
> As I understand it, unless your in a really demanding environment
> (ie..ISP), a 2.6Ghz is overkill and wasted resources.

The thing is that i had my fileserver which only holds harddrives and an
sambaserver with theese specifications, thats why i thought i could use it
for both purposes. But i can see what you mean by overkill.

> > 4 NICS 10/100/1000
> > And 1 Wireless D-Link card with MIMO Technic.
>
> Read the FreeBSD Hardware release notes before "assuming"
> compatibility. Also, Look at a 'server' grade NIC versus
> workstation...ie Intel pro, not netgear FX310T. The higher-end NIC's
> do more processing on the NIC, instead of passing off to mainboard
> cpu, which in turn makes throughput faster.

I thought to thats you could emulate drivers using wine ? But im sorry i
havent read that m0n0wall doesnt support wine. Sorry for that, earlier im
very familiar with debian, and not much into fbsd i will check it out.

Yes i understand that too, but i also dont want to spend to much money on
the nics since i have an good cpu and memory. Is it posible to get an nic
that work with this i want for about 20-30$ ? There are alot of theese nics
in sweden, but its hard to get the specfications about how there
perfromances are.

> > Do you think that you can get thruput about 100 MBPS ? If not what's the
> > thing thats stoping the performance ?
> > I have alot of trafic, and because gameservers ect i often feel like its
> the
> > router thats slowing down, since i have 200Mbps Internet here in Sweden.
>
> While my explanation may not be technically accurate, the point being
> your better off with:
>
> P3-1Ghz with great NIC's ....versus P4-2.6Ghz with crappy NIC's
>

> > One more thing does m0n0wall have trafic priority or do you recommend
> some
> > other *nix service that is nice.
>
> YES. Read online manual or search this forum for Traffic Shapping.
> Also check out the wiki.
>

> > Regards Tomas
> >

> ~Don

Thankyou for all your help. And one last thing, is it posible to get good
speed about 100Mbps-200mbps ? Or is it better to buy an hardware for about
300$ ? In my opinion i feels like having a faster cpu, memory, good nics
would bring the thruput alot higher. Or im I wrong?

Have a nice day, Tomas