[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  "m0n0wall" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Questions about performance and thruput.
 Date:  Sat, 13 Jan 2007 16:54:11 -0600
From: "Tomas Roos" <par dot tomas dot roos at gmail dot com>
> 2007/1/13, Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>:

>> There is an old racing adage;  Good, Fast, Cheap...  Pick two. :-)
>> Also, at those speeds, you have to look at bus speed.  Frankly I don't
>> think
>> you can push that much over a PCI bus.

> Thankyou for your answer, but how is it possible to have an 1000Mbps card
> if
> the bus doesnt support that fast transfering speed? Mabe i have understood
> this wrong.

You can plug it in, but will it work?  A good example of this is an article
at http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/10/agp-platform-analysis/  What
happens is that Tom's Hardware takes the latest ATI graphics card that was
crammed into a AGP form factor, and compares it with other older cards on
older systems.  It does "better" but is obviously constrained by CPU and
bus.  Most consumers don't benchmark purchases.  So they never realize that
the nic they have doesn't really do 100 meg.

Also read http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~cheshire/rants/Latency.html on what
"fast" is.  I seriously doubt bandwidth is your problem.  And a good router
with high end cards and traffic shaping is a powerful tool for minimizing
latency.

                                Lee