[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Sebastian Davie" <sd at clients dot ch>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Stupid Question regarding Rules
 Date:  Sun, 14 Jan 2007 13:53:19 +0100
Hi List

I have been playing with m0n0 for many hours now and I can't get my head
around the rules. I realize how rules work and I have experience with
Cisco pix fw's, and also with the cheap 'routers'.

The reason I want to change to m0n0 is to block people's traffic,
especially from them using file sharing applications, as the user rarely
limit their upload bandwidth which makes the internet unbearable for
anyone else.

I am running 1.3b2 on a standard PC

I set up a simple rule in the "Firewall rules" on the LAN side.

Action=Block

Disabled=not checked

Interface=LAN

Prototcol=TCP/UDP

Source=LAN Subnet

Source Port range=FTP/FTP

Desitnation=Any

Destination port range=FTP/FTP

Fragments=not checked

Log=not checked

Desciption=FTP Blocking

I also moved this rule to the top of the list and pressed APPLY. I still
have no problems whatsoever connecting to an FTP site. I have tried
everything, even trying to block port 80.. If I disabole the standard
rule "Default LAN -> any" then no one has Internet access. So the rules
must be working..

Please help me. M0nowall would be great if I could get it to work.

All the best

Sebastian