[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Questions about performance and thruput.
 Date:  Sun, 14 Jan 2007 11:42:50 -0600
From: "Donovan R. Palmer" <donovan at dmpnet dot org>
> "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org> wrote:

>> I use Dell GX1, GX110, and GX200 small form factor PCs.  One 3com nic
>> onboard, and 2 PCI slots.  The CPU rangers from 450mhz to 1ghz in what I
>> usually find.  They are cheap, plentiful, and very solid routers.

> I am about to build a m0n0wall out of a Dell Dimension. I have bought
> three Intel Pro nics to put in it, but it has a 3com already in it.  Do
> you find the 3coms in dell machines performs ok, or should I replace it
> with an Intel?  I had to replace it if it is not necessary.

The onboard 3com is rock solid.  I have found these machines to be fantastic
with some basic prep.

1. Upgrade the firmware.  Some older firmware causes "issues."
2. Go into the BIOS and turn off; sound, mouse, serial 2, and parallel.
(also turn off any USB you don't need)  Leave on serial 1, and turn on
legacy keyboard support if it has a USB keyboard.  This frees up IRQs to
avoid that conflict.
3. I install with Chris's live CD to make sure all hardware is seen by
FreeBSD 4.11, but I cd to /tmp and ftp a later image to burn.

                        Lee