[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Questions about performance and thruput.
 Date:  Sat, 13 Jan 2007 14:45:48 -0600
From: "Tomas Roos" <par dot tomas dot roos at gmail dot com>
> 2007/1/13, Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>:
>> On 1/13/07, Tomas Roos <par dot tomas dot roos at gmail dot com> wrote:

>> > Hello, i was thinking of getting an pc as an router since i think that
>> the
>> > modern routers have to little thruput.
>> >
>> > If i setup a system having theese specifikations:
>> >
>> > P4 2.6GHZ
>> > 512MB

>> As I understand it, unless your in a really demanding environment
>> (ie..ISP), a 2.6Ghz is overkill and wasted resources.

> The thing is that i had my fileserver which only holds harddrives and an
> sambaserver with theese specifications, thats why i thought i could use it
> for both purposes. But i can see what you mean by overkill.

Ooops...  I see the misunderstanding now.  M0n0wall takes over the entire
box.  There is no other operating system running, as it is the operating
system.  And nothing else can run on it, so it doesn't support WINE or
anything else.  You need separate dedicated hardware.

And a p3 1ghz with 128-256 meg of ram and good quality nics (Intel or 3com
business class) will get very close to wire speed.  That with the traffic
shaping will be about the best gaming router you can get.  See
http://www.langamereviews.com/content/view/144/2/ for a good example.
However, it is a much older version, and with the new betas, a lot more is
supported.

                        Lee