[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Peter Boosten <peter at boosten dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  VLAN
 Date:  Tue, 16 Jan 2007 06:08:03 +0100
Hi all,

So I must be doing something wrong:

I run m0n0 (currently 1.22) on my Soekris 4801 for several years now,
works like charm.

So I wanted to do some VLAN on my internal network, therefor I created
two VLANs on my Nortel Baystack (450-24T).

On m0n0 I assigned two VLANs on sis0 (that's my LAN interface), called
VLAN1 and VLAN2 and assigned both interfaces an IP address (192.168.14.1
and 192.168.15.1 - both class C). The LAN interface itself has
192.168.13.1. The intention is to renumber the 192.168.15.1 interface to
192.168.13.1 when this setup is working. Furthermore I applied a rule to
both VLAN interfaces to allow all traffic from all to all.

In the Nortel configuration you can switch between a non-trunk and a
trunk by configuring the port from 'untagged access' to 'tagged trunk'
(and then assign the tagged port to various VLANs).

This works perfectly for my Procurve wireless access point and my ESX
server, but somehow for m0n0 I cannot get this to work.

According to the hardware guide the sis interfaces should support long
frames (and therefor VLAN tagging).

Am I forgetting something on m0n0 or the Nortel, or is it just the
Soekris hardware being too old (I've never updated the BIOS of the
Soekris, could it be that?)?

TIA.

Peter