[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Tomas Roos" <par dot tomas dot roos at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Questions about performance and thruput.
 Date:  Sat, 13 Jan 2007 22:00:09 +0100
2007/1/13, Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>:

> From: "Tomas Roos" <par dot tomas dot roos at gmail dot com>

> that
> >> the

> >> As I understand it, unless your in a really demanding environment
> >> (ie..ISP), a 2.6Ghz is overkill and wasted resources.
>
> > The thing is that i had my fileserver which only holds harddrives and an
> > sambaserver with theese specifications, thats why i thought i could use
> it
> > for both purposes. But i can see what you mean by overkill.
>
> Ooops...  I see the misunderstanding now.  M0n0wall takes over the entire
> box.  There is no other operating system running, as it is the operating
> system.  And nothing else can run on it, so it doesn't support WINE or
> anything else.  You need separate dedicated hardware.

I see, didnt know it worked that way. Then it might be overkill :/ But if we
would say i would use that computer, can you get thruput up to 800Mbps if
you are using 1000Mbps cards, if using good cards but not too expensive?

As it is now im realy tierd the router is the stop for my connection and the
trafic prioriting is not working well which i want, i guess it takes some
mhz to always calculate thoose things.

And a p3 1ghz with 128-256 meg of ram and good quality nics (Intel or 3com
> business class) will get very close to wire speed.  That with the traffic
> shaping will be about the best gaming router you can get.  See
> http://www.langamereviews.com/content/view/144/2/ for a good example.
> However, it is a much older version, and with the new betas, a lot more is
> supported.

So you still need a miditower to get 3-4 wiredoutputs. How well does it work
to have an PCI wireless card, with the speed if you have multiple clients
connected. Or is there any PCI thats have multiple inputs ? i have looked
its not on the swedish market, mabe in US.

                        Lee

Best Tomas