[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] VLAN
 Date:  Tue, 16 Jan 2007 22:58:42 +0000
Hi,

In message <45AD4219 dot 3020403 at boosten dot org>, Peter Boosten
<peter at boosten dot org> writes
>mtnbkr wrote:
>> Peter Boosten wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>[snip]
>>
>> First, you need to set the baystack port to "tagged trunk".
>>
>> Next, you need to create another VLAN and assign it to that port. Call
>> the VLAN what you like, but this will be for the 192.168.13.0/24 network.
>>
>> I believe that here is where you went wrong:
>> On the m0n0wall, in the Interfaces --> Assign page you need to configure
>> your LAN interface to be the same VLAN that you just added to the
>> baystack port for the 192.168.13.0/24 network.
>
>Bill,
>
>Thanks for your answer.
>So what you're basically saying is that one of the VLANs needs the same
>IP address as the LAN interface?
>

>> If your LAN interface is currently assigned to the hardware interface
>> (sis0 on wrap - I do not know what m0n0 sees the ethernet ports as on a
>> soekris) it will not work. The LAN interface needs to be on the correct
>> VLAN.
>>

>This doesn't make sense: since it's a trunk, it'll be on several VLANs,
>right?

I think the point is that you have to either use the physical device OR
use VLANs, you can't use a combination, by setting an untagged VLAN on
your switch.  Your LAN interface must be one of the VLAN devices.

I hope that's clearer!

HTH,

                                Neil.