[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Daniele Guazzoni <daniele dot guazzoni at gcomm dot ch>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Voip Quality
 Date:  Wed, 17 Jan 2007 02:42:42 +0100
Paddy

you're talking about SIP ports but those are just signaling.
The actual VoIP communication is done on RTP and the ports are dynamically negotiated.
On most devices and PBX you can set a range of ports to be used for RTP (typically UDP 15000 -
20000).
You have to configure the traffic shaper for inbound / outbound SIP and RTP.
Otherwise you can establish the communication but then you could have a very worst quality.

I use this setup with Asterisk (both SIP and IAX2) on an ADSL link and it works very well.

PS: IAX is the better choice for WAN connectivity (NAT). It also provide a more efficient transport
and bandwidth utilization.

Daniele

padraig at premierbb dot ie wrote:
> Hi
>

> I have posted this question on several bulletin boards, but all suggestions failed to fix my
problem. Basically I have a dsl connection, then monowall, then the lan network consisting of 60+
machines. What I am trying to do is prioritise port 5060-5062 for voip traffic only. When the
network is congested, I want the voip quality to be as near as perfect as possible. could someone
please show me the "true" way of setting this up? BTW the dsl connection is 6 meg down, 512k up.

> Paddy

believed to be clean.