[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Questions about performance and thruput.
 Date:  Sat, 13 Jan 2007 16:11:24 -0600
From: "Tomas Roos" <par dot tomas dot roos at gmail dot com>
> 2007/1/13, Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>:
>> From: "Tomas Roos" <par dot tomas dot roos at gmail dot com>

>> > The thing is that i had my fileserver which only holds harddrives and
>> > an
>> > sambaserver with theese specifications, thats why i thought i could use
>> it
>> > for both purposes. But i can see what you mean by overkill.

>> Ooops...  I see the misunderstanding now.  M0n0wall takes over the entire
>> box.  There is no other operating system running, as it is the operating
>> system.  And nothing else can run on it, so it doesn't support WINE or
>> anything else.  You need separate dedicated hardware.

> I see, didnt know it worked that way. Then it might be overkill :/ But if
> we
> would say i would use that computer, can you get thruput up to 800Mbps if
> you are using 1000Mbps cards, if using good cards but not too expensive?

There is an old racing adage;  Good, Fast, Cheap...  Pick two. :-)
Also, at those speeds, you have to look at bus speed.  Frankly I don't think
you can push that much over a PCI bus.

> As it is now im realy tierd the router is the stop for my connection and
> the
> trafic prioriting is not working well which i want, i guess it takes some
> mhz to always calculate thoose things.

The processing power, and bus speed of consumer grade routers are so far
below what any PC has that it is not a comparison.

> And a p3 1ghz with 128-256 meg of ram and good quality nics (Intel or 3com
>> business class) will get very close to wire speed.  That with the traffic
>> shaping will be about the best gaming router you can get.  See
>> http://www.langamereviews.com/content/view/144/2/ for a good example.
>> However, it is a much older version, and with the new betas, a lot more
>> is
>> supported.

> So you still need a miditower to get 3-4 wiredoutputs. How well does it
> work
> to have an PCI wireless card, with the speed if you have multiple clients
> connected. Or is there any PCI thats have multiple inputs ? i have looked
> its not on the swedish market, mabe in US.

I use Dell GX1, GX110, and GX200 small form factor PCs.  One 3com nic
onboard, and 2 PCI slots.  The CPU rangers from 450mhz to 1ghz in what I
usually find.  They are cheap, plentiful, and very solid routers.