[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Bjoern Euler <lists at edain dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Cc:  Nate Osborne <nosborne at purchasingpower dot com>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Using Captive Portal offline?
 Date:  Thu, 18 Jan 2007 19:18:33 +0100
On 18.01.2007 00:14 Nate Osborne wrote:
> Does the Captive Portal work without an Internet connection, that is, without real external DNS?
>
> It looks like the way the CP works now, a URL has to resolve to a real IP before it redirects to
the splash screen.  I'm trying to use the Captive Portal to forward all users to a local web server
in a setup without Internet access.  But in this particular configuration, with no real external
DNS, clients get a page not found error instead of the captive portal screen.  Local sites that are
explicitly listed in the DNS forwarder work, but not general public sites, like google.com.

> If this is the way the captive portal is supposed to work, is there another way to redirect all
local traffic to a local web server?  The clients won't ever actually go to the URL they put in, but
I'd like it so that if they type in, say, google.com, that they are forwarded even though that site
is currently unavailable.

Though I don't have captive portal experience, a short question:
Have you entered your local/internal DNS server in the System/General
Setup section?
Maybe that helps captive portal to resolve names. Presumed that this
server does resolve all URLs.

Regards
-Bjoern